Wednesday 25 April 2012

Getting Creative - I've made some pendants for my Earring!

Not that long ago I got my hands on a second hand wig jig and I wanted to try it out so I got out my tools, some silver wire and some old crystals and had a go!
Tools of the trade from left to right; metal file, wig jig, side cutters, round nose pliers and nylon jaw wire pliers.
 Here is the steps that I took to make the pendants for my earrings today:
Step 1: Start to wrap the silver wire around the end of the round nose pliers.
Step 2: Take that hoop that you have just made and place it around one of the pegs of the wig jig. Arrange the pegs of the wig jig to make a pattern and wrap the silver wire around the pegs to create any pattern that you desire.
Step 3: Cut the end of the silver wire when you have finished making your pattern and lift the pattern from the pegs.
You will see that your creation is not flat  when you lift it from the wig jig especially if you look at it from an angle like you can see below.

Step 4: Take the Nylon Jaw Wire Pliers and clamp the creation in the pliers to straighten out the creation.
Step 5: Once your wire design has been flattened out you can add some decoration, I am using the crystal pieces from a necklace that I had as a child that broke. I just opened the gold loop you can see in the image below and linked the crsytal to the creation before closing the loop again.
 The finished pendant.
Here I am wearing them:
Do you like?
Have you recycled any broken pieces of jewellery?

2 comments: