Sunday 15 January 2012

Murano Glass Part 1 - Pauly & C. - Compagnia Venezia Murano

Well when my sister and I went to Venice in mid 2010 we didn't just have a gondola ride and drool at the windows of the expensive stores.
Ummm...Faberge
Faberge Shop Window Display in Venice

We also visited the Pauly & C. - Compagnia Venezia Murano demonstration workshop and store. Where we witnessed and was able to take a couple of photos of the process of making glassware. Here is a very quick overview of what we saw:
Molten Glass on the end of a metal tube is being manipulated by a Venecian Glass Blower
Is this the easy part? Making the base of the vessel.
Adding a handle and some decorative features
Finished piece just before destruction, apparently without the right treatment it was going to explode if I wasn't melted down.

After the demonstration we were able to go into the store and pick up a couple of the bargain pieces (ie pieces that were not perfect but still beautiful and still cost a pretty penny).

We ended up buying 6 glass beaded (small beads) 40cm necklaces of the Mosaico style (various colours, 20 Euro each) as well as some large (5 Euro each) and some medium (3 Euro each) glass beads.

Coming back to Australia we decided that we were going to keep 4 of the necklaces the same and pull one apart to make other pieces and make some jewellery of the other pieces which I will post up soon!


Cool huh?
What is it you would not want to miss if you were to ever visit Venice?
Or, if you have been to Venice, what was the most magical thing about the place for you?

4 comments:

  1. Wow how cool. I wish I had done this!

    We didn't do the "pimped out" gondola, (it was about $160AU for a 15 minute ride) but we did do a boat ride around Venice with a guide who taught us about the history of Venice. I loved the shopping and seeing the glassware. There are some amazing things they come up with. We bought a swimming fish there, and I bought my parents a floral glass candle holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the gondola rides can get quite expensive since there is no set fee for them to charge. My sister and I were charged 38Euro each but I was told that the fee can go up into 100Euro each on a nice looking night.

      Delete
  2. Venice is my most favourite place on the planet, have visited several times, though not recently. Just adore the tiny little streets, the palace, the glass crafts and the masks - it's like being in another world :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful, I spent one full day there walking in the narrow streets and I got excited when it rained and St Marks Square started to flood because therefore I can say I saw St. Marks Square under water ;P

      Delete