Saturday 21 January 2012

Murano Glass Part 2 - My €3 Goldstone beads


I must say that I absolutely love Goldstone. Like the silver bracelet that I mentioned in my second blog entry I was introduced to this 'gemstone' by my grandmother when she bought me a pair of earrings and a ring which featured this ‘gemstone’. Sadly I have only ever seen this product once in Australian stores.

The reason why I put ‘gemstone’ within quotation marks is because though I consider goldstone pieces as precious pieces they are not technically gemstones. That is because gemstones are naturally occurring minerals whilst goldstone is formed by mixing molten glass and copper that is left for a period of time at a particular temperature so that the copper precipitates out of solution before cooling. It is a Venetian glass making technique that is said to have begun in the 17th Century.

So therefore when I went to Venice and saw goldstone I knew I had to take an original Venetian piece home with me. I ended up choosing three goldstone heart shaped beads with millefiori details, which I have now made some earrings pendants and a necklace pendant out of. 
Goldstone with millefiori flower detail heart beads. Hoops are 9ct rose gold, small beads in the earrings are silver, pendant holder is silver and the rest is 9ct rose gold.

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful - love your work :-) I'm a total bead (and glass) nut and bought some when I was in Venice too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are stunning! So beautiful :) I bet they look amazing on! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are gorgeous! I bought a similar pendant when I was there now I wish I had matching earrings, they have some beautiful pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your lovely comments! :D

    ReplyDelete